HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Friday, June 26, 2009

Two items from Mom




Does anyone in the family have a bone protruding below their ankle, like I used to have? I have had this my whole life, and it has bothered me in certain shoes for a long time. I finally realized that I have a brilliantly skilled husband who could fix it, so yesterday he removed that bone. Pretty exciting. Just wondering if any of you have one of these, too. Dad says it would most likely be Abby, Becky, or maybe Matt, since they have feet kind of like mine. End of item one.
Yesterday I was reading Elder Russell M. Nelson's talk in conference, and found this little gem.
The talk was entitled, "Lessons from the Lord's Prayers". Suitable for the entire family:
"In a later prayer, Jesus included a plea for unity, "Father," He said, "I pray unto thee for them...that they may believe in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one."3 Nephi 19:23 We too can pray for unity. We can pray to be of one heart and one mind with the Lord's anointed and with our loved ones. We can pray for mutual understanding and respect between ourselves and our neighbors. If we really care for others, we should pray for them. "Pray one for another..." taught James, for "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16
Unity is one of our greatest family goals. As we are in the midst of praying and fasting for each other, I hope that we will also pray for 'one heart and one mind... and for mutual understanding and respect.'
I love you all. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxoxo mom

10 comments:

Crystal said...

Two comments: I think that is my most-urgent prayer recently. It has led to two remarkable dreams this week.

I think recovering from that surgery must hurt! Good luck with that. Take it easy.

David and Debby said...

Two things in response to the two things: (1) You know how you all have those swan photos with the Mosiah 18:21 unity subscript in your homes, and how we have sort of made that verse the motto of the family blog? Well, when Mom and I met the Chipmans, David's dad (Chippy) said they had seen our blog and asked me how we came to use the phrase, "Hearts knit Together". He was interesed in that little detail, because coincidentally, the Chipman family has for some time applied that same scripture as their family motto. Eerie. Do you think that had anything to do with Abby and David's mutual attraction?
(2) RE: Mom's foot - after the surgery, the surgery center staff expressed concern about how painful her recovery was likely to be. I told them, "Nah, don't worry about it, she's durable." They were amused at my choice of words, but I told them that coming from a guy, "durable" is a compliment. Well, she proved me right, as she has had hardly any pain. Last night we went to a concert, and this morning, she went to the Church's demonstration kitchen, to fulfill her calling of teaching the women of our stake how to cook various dishes. Right now she is preparing a lesson that she plans to teach tommorrow in RS. So, she is durable - maybe because she has been good to follow doctor's orders. That's about the only time I get her to follow my order though. Hmmm, maybe we should do this more often.
Dad

rebeccaV said...

Mom is totally tough, I'm not surprised at all!! That bone on my foot doesn't stick out like that, by the way...

Jason and Dana said...

I have the bone, but it doesn't look like that either. And Dad is always telling me I have your feet.

abbynormal said...

I don't think mine does, either. But hey, if I'm wrong, Dad can just throw that in with all the rest of the procedures he's planning to do in a month! Mom, you're so tough. Hopefully I can follow suit - and I mean better than I did back in the day when I got a sliver at the cabin. If any of you don't know what I'm talking about, all the better.

And Dad, I would say that the eerie connection with the Chipman family motto was indeed a reason for mutual attraction, but it was one of many, many reasons (did I mention there are many?).

David and Debby said...

Abby,
I hope you have overcome that sliver mentality, because otherwise there won't be enough time in all of July or August, or even this century, nor enough people to hold you down to do your surgery. Nor would I have enough stamina. But I love you.
Dad

rebeccaV said...

Oh man, I still remember the sliver surgery...terrible. We all had to go out on the deck of grandma and grandpa's cabin to try and get away from the screaming!!

David Chipman said...

First, good luck in the recovery. Oh, I so wish I could respond with a similar photo post and show off my ankle scars too! Now I'll have to ask Abby about the sliver surgery. I think this time she should opt for the anesthesia though. I'm strongly in favor of it. You get through the surgery without knowing what happened, or what power tools may or may not have been involved. (as opposed to the dentist, who may use local stuff but neglects to address the fact that your eyes, ears, and nose are all in close proximity to the mouth. shudder. and shudder again.

Second, yes, I do like the goal of unity. We've seen some great blessings poured out as we've joined each other in prayer for one another, and as we've opened up to one another about the struggles that are important to each of us. It's sometimes a very hard thing to do, but it's wonderful to know that there are great people around you that love you. (That's me speaking for myself there.)

abbynormal said...

David, you SHOULD respond with a post of your ankle scars!

David and Debby said...

i really don't know who will read this, but it is something i find very interesting. dad told me after the surgery that part of that little bone was soft. he said the bone that he cut off was very 'disorganized'. it was bone that was not supposed to be there. it just kind of decided to grow on its own, where it wasn't supposed to be (abby, i put an apostrophe in that 'its', then corrected myself) isn't the human body the most incredible organization EVER! it so keenly recognizes what is not supposed to be where. i can see why we were waiting so anxiously to get a body in heaven.