HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Happy Birthday Colin!!!




Thirty years ago today you entered this world, a bit earlier than we expected. You were loved and adored before you were even born. Happy birthday, Colin. What a blessing you have been to our family. I thought I would remind your family and show our new family members a bit of the way we knew you. Have a wonderful day. Love,
Mom and Dad

14 comments:

David and Debby said...

It's a Superman meets the Lone Ranger thing. By the way, sweet hair Grandpa!

abbynormal said...

Colin! It's your birthday!! So glad we all got to be together over the weekend. Something I really love about this blog is that it has presented more of an opportunity than ever before to see everyone's deeper, spiritual insights. I've really appreciated all the ones you've shared. They give me such a lift (as well as everyone else's insights!). When I see what a strong, solid man you've become, and what an incredible family you have, it makes me proud to call you my brother.

Hope you have a great birthday.

David and Debby said...

Colin~

Happy birthday! I too really loved what you have had to say in this blog. I am so glad you have such an incredible wife and family and I am grateful you welcomed me at Thanksgiving to your home.

I have been writing this year about what I remember about my brothers' births to them and they really have liked that, but since I was not there for yours (and probably would not remember it) I will tell you what I DO remember about the first time I met Matt's brother.

You were cracking up about some comedian, you were nice and knew all about the biology class I was teaching and then... before Thanksgiving lunch you showed me a skit of Will Ferrel rocking out to "Dont Fear the Reaper" with a cowbell and microshorts, complete with belly shirt. Yep, that pretty much sums up you.

Here are some things that have happened on this, your day:
On Aug. 8, 1974, President Richard Nixon announced he would resign following damaging revelations in the Watergate scandal.


1815 Napoleon Bonaparte set sail for St. Helena, in the South Atlantic, to spend the remainder of his days in exile.

1844 Brigham Young was chosen to lead the Mormons following the killing of Joseph Smith.

(WOW! But they don’t mention “who” chose him ;-)

1876 Thomas A. Edison received a patent for the mimeograph.

1942 Six convicted Nazi saboteurs who had landed in the United States were executed in Washington, D.C.

1945 President Harry S. Truman signed the United Nations Charter.

1945 The Soviet Union declared war against Japan during World War II.

1953 The United States and South Korea initialed a mutual security pact.

1963 Britain's "Great Train Robbery" took place as thieves made off with 2.6 million pounds in banknotes.

1968 Richard M. Nixon was nominated for president at the Republican National Convention in Miami Beach and chose Maryland Gov. Spiro T. Agnew to be his running mate.

1973 Vice President Spiro T. Agnew branded as "d*** lies" reports he had taken kickbacks from government contracts in Maryland and vowed not to resign.

1978 The United States launched Pioneer Venus II, which carried scientific probes to study the atmosphere of Venus.

1988 U.N. Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar announced a cease-fire between Iran and Iraq.

2001 Former President Ronald Reagan's daughter Maureen died at age 60.

2005 Iran resumed work at a uranium conversion facility after suspending nuclear work for nine months to avoid U.N. sanctions.

2006 Sen. Joseph Lieberman lost the Connecticut Democratic primary to political newcomer Ned Lamont. (However, Lieberman won re-election to the Senate by running as an independent).


It is also the birthday of Dennis Hoffman and Mel Tillis- whose number one purchased song is “Send me down to Tuscon” I listened to it in honor of you, but would probably not choose to listen to it again…

David and Debby said...

COLLY WOLLY!!!!!! 30 years old......wow. That makes ME feel old. Do you feel like an adult now? I had so much fun looking through all the pictures (I found them for mom to put on here.) I can't wait for Matt's birthday!!!! There are so gooood ones of him. Jason and I had so much fun spending so much time with you and Lori. Maybe someday we can live closer to you guys, I can hope so anyway. Well, I love you! I hope you have a great birthday and get to do something really exciting on your rotation, tomorrow if you don't work today. Love you Colin,
Dana

David and Debby said...

I had to add, I especially love the clip in your hair in the picture I assume Leslie and Becky dressed you up in a dress. And don't worry, Becky's pictures are already ready.
Dana

Crystal said...

I did not figure out I could sign in with my own gmail till now. I can hardly wait to see what you have of Matt, he seems like he might have been a wee bit uptight as a little guy from the pictures I got in Mexico. hee hee... somethings dont change.

Valerie said...

happy Birthday,
you have really nice and cute kids I'm glad you are my uncle!!!

RebeccaV said...

Happy Birthday Colin!!! I am so proud of the man you have become. You have decided what you want out of life and you have gone out and worked for it! I am also impressed by your deep spiritual insight and it helps me to grow as a person. You are such a special person and I am so proud to call you my brother. I have never told you this but I have always been so grateful for your relationship with Ray. You were the first person he met in our family and you always made him feel so welcome and loved. When he was investigating the church he looked to your example several times and he still does. You are a wonderful person!! Hope your birthday is awesome!!

I love you, becky

matt2678 said...

Colin,

In that picture with you, Becky and Leslie...are you wearing a dress? I hope your birthday is going well and that you don't spend the whole time sleeping. I couldn't have asked for a better older brother. Happy birthday.

P.S. I'm interested to see how you will celebrate when your birthday is 08-08-08

RebeccaV said...

I ate some leaves, I ate some grass, I used my hand to wipe my tears....tears of joy for your happy birthday

love, ray

David and Debby said...

I hope your day was well above average. I hope you didn't have a bad birthday. I hope your birthday dinner didn't get burned. And I hope you didn't get something lame for a present. And I hope you don't have to go into work too early tomorrow. May this year be as better as the last.
Jason

David and Debby said...

Colin: That's my boy. But, I'll tell you, all the comments from your siblings provided some supreme entertainment for your birthday. There are some pretty interesting minds among us.

Seriously though, I'm taken back to your eventful childhood. Some of the events were less than favorable. The brazen, daredevil characteristic of your youth lead to some pretty scarey injuries. I can't help but think back to the time you broke your neck. I remember you lying in the ER, your head sandbagged while we awaited CT results, unsure at the moment if you would ever have a normal life. I remember kneeling by your beside and asked the Lord to let me trade you places so that you could be whole and have a full life. Of course, he didn't take me up on it, but he did preserve you. Susequently, all the stress Mom and I experienced and all the worries we had about your future were unavoidable, but ultimately unnecessary, probably because all the prayers we uttered paid off in a big way. Also, the Lord had other plans for you. Whatever the case, you have overcome, and we are so very proud of your accomplishments and your persistent drive to go beyond. We love you. Happy Birthday,
Mom and Dad

David and Debby said...

Killer boots man!

Leslie said...

colly wolly! happy birthday (late) from me and alex!! we love you!!

p.s. bec, do you think we could ever get him to pose for another photo with us in a dress again?