HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Mayflower


Leslie Croshaw
Debby Christensen
Callie Scott
Winona Stone
Lonnie Wing
George Wing
Archibald Wing
Thurston Wing
Hannah White
Willian White
Samuel White
Resolved White (Mayflower)
Also from William White
Hanah Hathaway
Sarah Cooke
John Cooke (Mayflower)
Francis Cook + Hester Mahieu (Mayflower)
Richard Warren (Mayflower)

How many of you knew that we had ancestors that came over on the Mayflower?! I was in San Francisco last week and saw a friend who's in charge of family history for the singles' ward. We started talking about it, and she pulled out her computer and we started looking at my lineage...and look what we found. I suddenly felt so American...our ancestors were pilgrims and this makes us something like 12th generation! I found that we had relatives from the Netherlands, France, Germany, Ireland, Scotland and of course, England. The oldest record I found was of an ancestor born in 1389 in Ireland!! And that's only the Scott side of the family. I haven't even started to look at the Christensens, Croshaws or Pooles.

But really...more overwhelming than the sudden sense of patriotism I felt was the spiritual turning of my heart. The spirit of Elijah was definitely working on me as I looked through generations and generations of our ancestors' names. If you haven't seen it, the church has a really cool new family history website: new.familysearch.org. You're able to set up your own pedigree chart, and then you can link to ancestors who are already in the system. It shows you who has and who hasn't received temple ordinances. If you link them to yourself, as I have done, the site allows you to easily do the work for them the next time you go to the temple. I can't believe I've been doing temple work for perfect strangers all of these years, when I've had so many ancestors waiting. I've made a commitment to myself, starting today, that when I go to the temple, I will only do work for my ancestors. (Until it's all done, of course.) In fact, I think we should make it a family goal! What do you think?

9 comments:

Crystal said...

That is awesome! I tried the new ancestry site and my pedigree is totally and completely empty. I could not find one bit of anything and I am not sure how to start with the information I do have (my grandfather, who died a year ago, and my biological father, who died 10 years ago), so I need to come into contact with someone who can help me start from ground zero.

My mother's mom has an extensive writing about her family (Starbucks and Kennison's) and she has promised me that, but I have not gotten it yet.

My grandfather Scott (these are not biological, but they are still my family) has promised the same.

Anyway, it is so important. In my patriarchal blessing, there is such a long passage about this aspect of my life. I suppose it is because I am the "first" in my whole family. I too want to do temple work for my family. I greatly desire that.

I was going to go to the temple Friday, but I am honestly a little scared with the flu... eventhough it has not hit DC, it is imminent at this point.

Also, I have always loved the name Callie. Always. I had a student named Katherine and she went by Kalli and I always commented on her name every time I talked to her. I also had an Ellery and I liked that name too, but Callie is such a feminine, regal sounding name.

Thanks for sharing all that Leslie, it is pretty neato!

Crystal said...

More name comments- Winona could match with Naomi, we would have ourselves the Judds, Archibald could get Matt's genes and be bald by 35, Resolved. I think that should have been Valerie's name. Once she has decided to be happy/sad, there is no turning back... Hanah Hathaway, I love that! I wonder if she is related to Anne Hathaway off The Other Side of Heaven?! (I love her, the missionaries who taught me called her Sister Hathaway)...

That was fun.

Now off to try and figure out how to tell students they failed my class...

David and Debby said...

Leslie,
the new Family search program is available everywhere but the more populous areas of Utah and Idaho. We can't use it here, and our temples are not set up to process names generated from it. When they first started it up, they had so many hits from Utah and Idaho that it crashed the system,so they cut them out, making it available only to everybody else until they could get the system beefed up. It's supposed to be happening sometime soon, but so far it is no go.

But, you go girl - get everybody else excited, and as soon as we can, Mom and I will join in. Bring it on, Elijah!

David and Debby said...

great work les. except it is louie anna (maybe we named you after her unknowingly.) her father was George Peleg Wing, Sr. and his father was Archibald Wing, etc. great research. are there names to do? xoxo mom

Leslie said...

Isn't it cool. All of you non-Idaho/Utah people should log on! Crystal, you have to enter information for any people still living and then we'd just need to find names and then birth or death dates for those who have passed on. I'd love to help you.

On Alex's side there's a lot that hasn't been done. His mom's working on it, but I'm going to help.

Mom, it says Lonie Annie in the system. Should I correct it?

The names that show up as having not been done for your Grandma Scott's family are: Thomas Stone & his wife Jane Nancy Burton, George P. Wing & his wife Anna Jackson, David Bradley Jackson & his wife Lucy Hendrix, Thurston Wing & his wife Mary Young, possibly Lyman Jackson & his wife Deidama Dunham, possibly Cornelius Hendryx and Mehitable Dunham, Thomas Wing & his wife Hannah White, James Pettey and his wife Elizabeth. And this list goes on? If the work has been done, and you know it, we should update the system.

abbynormal said...

My roommate actually works in the Family History center for her calling and she's way into this. Apparently there's a lot you can do right now, even if you don't have any names to add. Before they switched to this new system, there were a lot of names that have had their work done more than once. So if nothing else, you can go to new.familysearch.org and get into your pedigree chart, and just start going through and getting rid of duplicates. And there, you did some family history work! It's a good way to get into the spirit of things if you're just not feeling the genealogy itch yet.

David and Debby said...

be sure to go to family search before you do the work. les, i think lots of that has been done. i'll email this to grandma.

Colin & Lori said...

I just did this about a month ago and it was so great to see all of my ancestors right there for me. I added my Great-Grandmother whom I am named after and she is all ready to go to the temple and have her work done. I hope to get home this summer to be a part of it. We will get to seal my Great-Grandparents that I remember, my mother's father and some of the other brothers that have passed. I am very excited and the program is great! I learned that my Great-Grandmother's father left them when they were young and they have little information on his parents and so on. His work stops at him. We will get to seal my Great-Grandmother to her mom and dad though. It is great isn't it

Colin & Lori said...

Hey Leslie, if you didn't put the record in the program will not let you change it. You will have to either contact the person that put it in to correct it or create a new corrected record. I am 98% sure of this.