HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I AM OFFICIALLY MEXICAN


I was in San Francisco for work last week, and I didn't think twice when I arrived at immigration in Monterrey on Saturday afternoon and the guy stamping my passport had a mask on. I've been traveling to Asia for years and am used to seeing many masked people. Since the outbreak of SARS in 2003, people have been extra cautious and are still (6 years later) using masks to try to protect themselves and others. I met my cute hubby in the airport and he asked me if I'd heard what was happening with Swine Flu. Surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly, I hadn't. We watched the udpates on TV and saw things escalating somewhat, but it all still seemed to be under control.


On Sunday at church the usual suspects were there, but people were cautious about greeting others with a kiss if they had any type of cold. On Sunday night we went to Alex's parents house for an overdue birthday party for his dad and many others who had birthdays in the month of April. Alex was checking the news on his phone (he's an addict), and saw that the Mexico Secretary of Education had closed all schools and canceled all classes for the week. (My thought...Mexicans finally get their snow day!) They've discouraged any large gatherings of people, so all church activities, institute and Sunday services have been canceled as well. I thought they were overreacting, but then again, Mexicans are the ones who have been worst affected by the mutated little monster. I checked CNN when I got home and saw that the U.S. government had not sealed any borders and had not issued any travel warnings, so I thought I'd be fine for my trip to Miami the next day.


On Monday morning (yesterday) I left Monterrey and boarded a plane bound for Dallas, TX and then later Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I was sitting in the Dallas airport waiting for my delayed flight to Ft. Lauderdale, when an email from my boss popped up on the screen of my blackberry. It was a general email addressed to a large number of us, regarding the company's reaction to the swine flu. The email bascially said that any Mexican employees should not plan travel to the U.S. within the foreseeable future and U.S. employees should not travel to Mexico. He also said that if any U.S. employees were in Mexico, they should return to the U.S. immediately and then plan to work from home for 10 days. I replied "In Dallas, left Mexico this morning, waiting for flight to Ft. Lauderdale. What should I do?" He called immediately. He hadn't remembered where I was going to be this week. He told me to go home (back to Monterrey) and to stay there for at least 10 days. The company doesn't want to risk infecting U.S. employees by any who might have been infected. See! I'm officially Mexican!


Seriously, it has been very interesting to be in the middle of this. I work from home and interact with so few people that it's very unlikely I'd be exposed. So...here I sit in my little home that I've spent 2 of the last 3 weeks away from and am so happy to be here. Happy to have the internet that allows me to work from anywhere. Happy I have my food storage, which would tide me over through any short term disaster. At the rate they're shutting things down here, the grocery stores may be next. Not to be dooms day, but it occurred to me as we were shopping last night, that the disasters of the future may be biological. It may happen that people may not want to leave their homes for fear of infection of some horrendous disease. At that point in time, we would be grateful for having listened to the words of a prophet.


In other news, Alex and I will be moving to South Florida. Levi's has an office there, and I've been asked to relocate. It seems like it'll be a good market for Alex's furniture, lots of modern/contemporary stuff. We'll probably make the move sometime mid-July. I'll let you know when I know more. We expect many if not all of you to visit us as soon as we're settled in. As the famous Will Smith has said, "Bienvenidos a Miami!".

20 comments:

David and Debby said...

thanks so much les for your mexican insight. very interesting to think about biological disasters. i hope you will be able to come to san antonio in may. hopefully it will be blown over. alway appreciate a plug for food storage/emergency preparedness. love you, mom

Crystal said...

Hey, Leslie~
I was wondering about your take on all this. It is so odd to me that people are DYING of it in Mexico and "mildly affected" here... but then again, there are 2 suspected cases of fatality now in California.

I was soooo paranoid today with what I was touching and who I let touch my baby. Adults, yes, students, no.

I too was thinking about food storage and I am so glad you are well-prepared. As for Florida- that sounds fantastic! I never really have been there (except briefly last summer), so I will have to come visit. Everyone loves Florida. I would actually REALLY love seeing the keys.

Anyway, please be safe! We love you!

Colin & Lori said...

That's funny. Ohio happens to be one of the states with confirmed cases. Actually it's over 20 now. This is an ER doctors worst fear. As if enough people with bogus symptoms don't already come in to the ER, put something like this on TV and business will be booming.
By the way, you don't have the flu if you don't have a cough. Stay away from the hogs Les.

Colin & Lori said...

I guess the confirmed number may still be only 1 here. The news website I looked at I guess may not be right. The news is saying it is still only 1.

Jason and Dana said...

Party in the city where the heat is on
All night, on the beach till the break of dawn
Welcome to Miami
Bienvenidos a Miami
Bouncin' in the club where the heat is on
All night, on the beach till the break of dawn
I'm goin to Miami
Welcome to Miami
Jason

Jason and Dana said...

San Antonio is taking it pretty serious on the flu too, about 4 school districts including two in our ward have closed school until May 11th with confirmed cases in the area. Our ward has cancelled all activites, still don't know if we will have church on Sunday though. Meanwhile we went to the all you can eat pizza buffet today, although it looked kind of like a ghost town.
Jason

abbynormal said...

Meanwhile, DC doesn't seem to be all that affected. From what I can see...but then, school (and other things) hasn't really given me much opportunity to see what's going on outside of my little bubble. One more week till I'm clear.

Yay, Miami! I'll come visit - those flights are cheap!!

rebeccaV said...

That is a great point about food storage, Les. I haven't heard of any confirmed cases in WA yet. Isn't there an anti-viral drug that will take care of this? Wow Dana!! I can't believe that they closed school for 2 weeks!! That is crazy! I'm seriously planning a trip to Miami with my FF miles!!

David and Debby said...

Always safe in the intermountain west - another good reason you should all work your way back. Also Leslie, tell Alex he gets points for being a news junky.
Dad

Leslie said...

Still no symptoms (no cough Colly), so far so good.

Dad, the intermountain west really may be the best place on earth. Besides the occasional earthquake or avalanche nothing disastrous really ever happens there, does it?

I should have added to my comment about following the prophet's counsel on food storage...that we'd all be grateful that mom has followed the words of the prophet and tried to get us to do the same. She's been working on us all pretty steadily for the last few years. The reason I have anything at all is thanks to mom. Love you, mom!

P.S. Seriously, I expect you all to visit us as soon as we're in tourist la-la land.

Gerald and Cathy said...

At last! a refrigerator magnet from Florida!!. I too am grateful that my grandchildren have heeded the advice of our prophet and have food storage. My basement is full and if any of you need anything, just come to grandma's. You are welcome to anything I have.
Much love to all,
Gram

Colin & Lori said...

Heck yes we are coming. I am mentally planning our Christmas 2010 trip to Disney World or something fun like that and BONUS, we will get to see you guys too!!! I need a GREAT Florida trip to make up for the sad experience I had in 2002 right? HOw exciting!!! `

Colin & Lori said...

Abby, it's only a matter of time until DC has cases. If NYC has some cases then DC definitely will.
Meanwhile in OH: the hospital I'm at has already sent down a bunch of the swabs to the CDC already, and I'm sure every other hospital in the state has done the same. I'm thinking about putting the whole family on prophylactic antivirals before they run out.

Crystal said...

There are 3 suspected cases in Idaho: Ada, Freemont and Madison? That intermountain west is being affected too. I am really getting a little nervous...

David and Debby said...

Don't want to add to the anxiety, but West Nile virus (Mosquito host) is also endemic in Idaho...

David and Debby said...

ada--boise, fremont--ashton, on the way to island park, and madison--rexburg!

Jason and Dana said...

David, I always hear about people getting points with you. News junkies, hole digging, ect. I would like to see the scorecard one of these days.
Jason

Colin & Lori said...

West Nile is no Swine flu. West Nile will only kill you if your immune system is weak. Hopefully they get the vaccine prepared by the time and if they need it.

abbynormal said...

So here's what I've been wondering...if tens of thousands of people are dying from the REGULAR flu every year, why is this such a big deal? (This is genuine curiosity.)

Crystal said...

I am thinking you make an excellent point, Abby. Seems to me that this is killing people in Mexico more because of a reason. I think it may be treatment or an immune system primed with vaccines.

Just about every "new" case now is a case of someone who has recovered. The worst is that it is allergy season too and my allergy symptoms are flu-like... I don't know about everyone else's, and I am a teeny bit paranoid.


PS killing pigs and quarantening a hotel are stupid...