HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Change of Plans

The blog has hit a dead spot lately, so I thought I would let everyone know what's new with us. I have decided that surgery is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. Once I got into it here I realized it is not a life I want to subject myself or my family to. Although many surgeons have good family lives, it is very difficult to do. It's not really as fun as it was when I was a student. In the end I'm just not happy doing it right now, and if I'm going to make a switch now is the time to do it.
I am in the process of applying to radiology programs. Hopefully I'll be finished with it in a couple weeks. That means I get to travel all over the place for interviews again. There is a program in Spokanne that Lori is hoping for, but I just want to get some interviews and go wherever will take me. Hopefully that means we will be closer to some of you.
Anyway, that's what's new with us.
Go Browns!
Colin

7 comments:

David and Debby said...

colin,

i have been thinking that this is a leap of faith by you and lori. you have gotten the inspiration and you are acting. in that light, this scripture made me think of you guys. this is in enos v 12, "And it came to pass that after I have prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith." I know He will grant your desires unto you. xo mom

Crystal said...

Colin~

There is nothing (NOTHING) worse than being unhappy with your job. My last year in my research lab was like that and it was a miserable experience that I once was thrilled with.

I love teaching and because of the miserable experience of dealing with really awful work-related things, I enjoy teaching all the more and truly leave my job most days (literally) skipping out of my office. It is invigorating to do something you love and it is really unacceptable to do something you dont.

I hope and pray that you guys will find something that you really love and that it happens really soon. Spokane sounds awesome!!

JMU (Where I teach) has a new radiology program (not on the MD level) but it shows much promise!

MY friends from UVa medical school have been going "surgery" for the past couple years and after this summer's internship in St Louis (where they hoped to match this coming spring) he has decided it is not for him either and he is going for anesthesiology and looking at Iowa or Charlottesville.

I guess my point is- you are a really good guy with a really great wife and the two of you are going to get the perfectly tailored position for you. We will keep you in our prayers and if you ever want to come back to Virginia instead of WA, we will babysit whenever you want ;-)

David and Debby said...

Colin,
Amen to what Mom said. Also, general surgery is good money but not a great life, quantity but not quality. Most general surgeons I know are jerks. I'm not stereotyping -- I said most, and I can see why they get that way because they don't have much of a life. Anyway, I've been uneasy about that direction for you for some time, but I beleive radiology will address the concerns.
Go for it,
Dad

Jason and Dana said...

Colin,
I'm so glad you realized this so early on. Since mom started telling me about this I realized how you were MEANT to go to Ohio, so that you could do a general internship, and accomplish 2 things. 1) Realize surgery wasn't for you, and 2) decide what was. It's pretty incredible. I'm sure at first you were frustrated to not get into a surgery internship, and take the extra year for general, but look what a blessing it has been. It makes you KNOW it will all work out, because look how well this year worked out. You're being watched after. Love you guys! Spokane would be great!
Dana

Matthew said...

Colin I know you will be good at whatever you choose to do.

Alex E said...

Hi colin..

Right Now i can remember a speach an ex bishop share with me when I was a little boy

" Be the Best of Whatever You Are "


here is the link


http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6080


Regards.

Alex

Unknown said...

wow alex! thank you for sending that link. what a great, inspiring talk.
debby