HISTORY

A Little History:
Our story begins in Pocatello, Idaho, circa 1972, when the lovely Debby Christensen agreed to a first, though fateful date with admirer, David Croshaw. Long story-short, he bade her follow him, and they went arm-in-arm to the Logan, Utah temple for establishment of an eternal family unit, Generation 1, on May 23 1973.

From their first blissful summer in Salt Lake City, educational pursuits took them to Provo/Orem, Utah, birthplace of Leslie and Rebecca, and to San Francisco/Oakland California, birthplace of Colin and Matt. Then, for establishment of livelihood, expansion of the tribe with Abby and Dana, and for raising/unifying of Generation 2, it was back to the roots in Pocatello for a rewarding sojourn.

In time, driven by a raging, but commonly shared sense of adventure and independence, one-by-one, Generation 2 escaped the homeland to distant regions of the country and the world, each ultimately developing their own tribal expansions by pairing with worthy mates and initiating Generation 3.

Now sensing fulfillment of their purpose in Pocatello, Generation 1 has also left those roots and transplanted to Cascade Idaho, from which base, they anticipate more abundant contact with The Posterity, Generations 2 and 3, in the future. That contact however, awaits fulfillment of a call to LDS missionary service in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, wherein they hope to help the state of the world by sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

So now, including Generation 0 (Grandma and Grandpa Christensen) home base includes Yuma, Arizona, Pocatello, Idaho, Cascade, Idaho, Vancouver, BC, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Spokane, Washington, Boise, Idaho, Los Angeles, California, back to Boise, Idaho, and on and on (Generation 3+) to infinity.

Our Mission Statement:
This is the blog of our eternal family unit. Initiated years ago, it served well as a journal, but even more so, as an archive of our personal interaction. It was a gathering place, a confabulation instrument, a unifying force for four generations of widely dispersed and progressively prolific posterity, and their valued associates. Though it served these purposes well for many years, it eventually took a back seat to new-kids-on-the-block, Facebook, and Instagram, and was sadly forgotten.

We now move to resurrect this blog with an added functional purpose of archiving the missionary experiences of Generation 1, of their movements and activities as they participate with The Gathering of Israel in the land northward. In so doing, we hope that via their own comments and posts, this blog will again serve to gather and unify the posterity and their friends.

As in the past, that the young and vibrant may know the old and tired, that enduring bonds may be fostered and maintained, that experience and encouragement may be openly shared, that posterity may embrace truth, and that hearts may be knit together, we must resist detachment despite our geographic divergence. We shall do so here.
_____________________________________________________________

Monday, October 15, 2007

Thinking about Bria


I am not writing about Sydney. I think he is kinda mean now. He has hurt me (by biting) three days in a row. Naughty bird~!

This is a repost from my own personal blog. For some reason, the experience has been on my heart all weekend and into today. I think I know why after re-reading the talk. I only hope I am able to do what I need to do with the inspiration of it.

I do think this is perhaps one of the most-inspired talks I have given.

About 2 years ago, I went to the YSA "acoustic night" at the Qullion home. I had gotten there late because I was teaching that day, but I made it just as the music was getting started. My very best friend, Diana told me she had brought a friend from work and I was introduced to Brianna Keele. She was smily and cute and had a name tag on that said "BRIA!" I remember looking into her eyes and getting a chill, but I really was not so sure what that meant. There are not many people that I can truly say I remember the moment we met, but I do remember that moment when I met Bria.

We became very good friends and I was amazed at the amazing story of this girl. She had moved from her family in Seattle to Oklahoma then Virginia and was living with her boyfriend. She really was totally dedicated to her boyfriend and I was so touched by her obvious desire to include him in the things she did and help him feel welcome. She began attending most singles' events and would make every attempt for John to come as well... slowly they were inevitably drifting apart and things got really interesting after Thanksgiving. One night, the first week of December, FHE for the singles' ward was cancelled, so I decided that was not cool and had an impromptu FHE at my apartment. I asked Bria specifically to come. She had been attending sacrament and Diana and I began to talk to her very carefully about missionaries and discussions. Bria decided on her own a few days before to fast and pray.

Diana got to my house about 30 minutes before anyone else and while we were putting cookies on plates and the like, she said "we should fast for Bria tomorrow" and I said, "ok, but what for?" About that time, Bria came in and she had her amazing smile and said "Big things are going to change in my life and I need to see the hand of God." Diana and I locked eyes- we knew what we needed to fast for- that Bria would be able to see the hand of God and know whose had it was.

It was a great FHE- we watched the church MR Krueger's Christmas, shared testimony, then I felt inspired to share the spiritual thought I had been asked to give 5 days before in Institute. It was a photo journey of my adventure that led me to the church with a lovely song called "sanctuary" playing in the background. At the end, I bore my testimony of joining the church and my gratitude of missionaries (missionaries were present that night).

2 weeks later, Bria moved out of John's house into Bonny's and then began taking the discussions. She was baptized April 22 (my favorite date every month!) just before she turned 19, in 2006.

I was asked to give the baptism talk and I fretted and fretted over the talk- by that time, I was going through a very rough time having to do with dating a non-member and the heartache that came with breaking up with him.

The Lord healed my heart, and inspired me and I wrote her talk and felt a very tangible spirit present.

The week before her baptism, Valerie and I were coming home from visiting the zoo in DC and the temple and we went to have lunch at the Tyson's Corner mall. I knew where we wanted to go, but I had no clue how to get there from where we entered. When we got into the mall, however, there was a huge map with every store in the mall detailed. I found that it was so much easier getting to where I wanted to be after I first realized where I was. The huge YOU ARE HERE star that showed us where we were standing allowed me to plot a course to precisely where I wanted to be. As I thought of this on my way home, a talk was borne:


Mark 1:4 -13. Tells us

4 John (the Baptist) did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of
repentance for the remission of sins.

5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were
all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

6 And John was clothed with camel hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins;
and he did eat locusts and wild honey.

7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of
whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and
was baptized of John in Jordan.

10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the
Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I
am well pleased.

12 And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.

13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the
wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

This passage of scripture tells us so much about the ordinance of baptism. An ordinance is a rite or a ceremony and it is one ordinance that is required of us in order that we attain celestial glory after this life. When I think about a person whose life I would like to emulate, I often think of great people whose lives impacted for the better, those around them.

Always, first and foremost, I think of the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ in these situations. I think of His service to others, His wisdom, His unshakable faith, His kindness and His love. I also think of His mighty example of obedience. We all know that baptism is an ordinance offered when a faithful person desires to live a more perfect life- coming forward with a broken heart and contrite spirit, in humility and repentant for the sins in his or her past.

Why is it then that Christ- who was free of sin- baptized? It is because he was obedient to the Father commands, to set an example for all people of His age- and for those to come, to fulfill all righteousness. Matt. 3:15. or 2Nephi 31: 5-7.


5. And now, if the Lamb of God, he being a holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!

6. And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?

7. Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.

He was the ultimate example of obedience and humility- although He literally was a perfect man; he himself was baptized- immersed in water- by one with the proper authority.

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints baptize in the way that it was done in Christ Himself day- the ordinance is performed by one with the proper authority to one who desires to walk on a path leading to eternal salvation. Our sins are literally washed away; we embark on a new life.

Baptism allows us to be under covenant with the Lord- we agree to come into the fold of God- to read Holy Scripture and follow the commandments given to us therein, we bear one another burdens- and actively seek to do such, We stand as witnesses of God at all times, in all places- not just when convenient and certainly not just when it is comfortable- but in all times, in all places.

In doing these things, we serve God and he blesses us accordingly with forgiveness of our sins, He pours out His spirit abundantly on all of us, He gives us daily guidance with help from the Holy Ghost (which is an amazing gift we get at confirmation into the Church), we are able to come forth in the first resurrection, and we are granted eternal life. A covenant is a 2-way promise and God does not lie- therefore if we do our part with steadfastness, faithfulness and true intent, all these things are ours.
How do we keep these feelings we have at our own- or the baptism of others? We try our best- we work to keep the undeniable good feelings that are those of the Spirit with us; we recognize when that feeling is absent, and do what we can to change it.


Brianna, what struck me about the first passage I read was this;

………..And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.¨

13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan;………….

How do we progress after our baptism that we might keep on the path of righteousness and how do we help ensure feeling close to the Lord? Temptation will come, sadness will pursue us, inequity will befall us, but we must have courage- move forward- press onward with steadfastness and faithfulness.

How do we do this? The answer is to read closely the Holy Scriptures and hearken unto the words of the Lord. Secondly- pray- with true intent- these two things fit hand-in-hand. The Lord said to the prophet Joseph Smith;

D&C 88:63.
…Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Those words apply to each of us.

This summer, I had the pleasure of standing in front of a remarkable painting by an artist; depicting the prophet, Joseph Smith crying out to the Lord on the floor of a jail he had been incarcerated inside for months. The Lord spoke to His prophet with the kind words;

D&C 121:7-8.
…My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a
small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high…..

Often we may pray; Thy will be done (Matt. 26:42).

It is another thing entirely to live it. In my darkest moments since joining the church, I have sat still and literally felt the arms of the Lord holding me and the love I have felt from Him is truly undeniable. I have also been obstinate and disobedient and I have turned away from that love and discovered the true meaning of anguish.

It is not a good feeling to knowingly turn from the righteous ways of the Lord, but Brianna, you know what?

He has always allowed for me to find my way back to Him. That path- back to Him- is just as personalized as my original path to find Him. As you search your scriptures, ponder on the stories and lessons therein, as you pray with intent and pour out your soul to our Father in Heaven you will become more familiar with what feels right. You will also have the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is rare and precious gifts that will no-doubt help to keep you in line.

The deliberate act of CHOOSING to be baptized is a good, righteous decision and being baptized by one with the proper authority, is an outward act showing our desire to take part in the Kingdom of God today- right now- while still being a part of the world.

Temptations will surely befall us, but if we live righteously- keeping the commandments, we will feel of the inclinations of the Holy Ghost and know those things which are wrong for us.

John 17: 14-17

14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of
the world, even as I am not of the world.

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest
keep them from the evil.

16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.


I feel strongly that the path that has led you here today has been orchestrated and that you, being righteous and good, recognized the beautiful truths around you- and hearkened unto them.

It is impossible at times to see the end from the beginning. Sometimes we can not understand that where we are right now is exactly where we need to be- that comes with a more eternal perspective.

I was reminded of this over the past weekend when I went into an unfamiliar mall. There was a huge map just inside the door that Valerie approached- and although I had no idea where I was, I looked at that map and the huge star that said YOU ARE HERE so that when I compared where I was at that moment, to where I wanted to be- the course which I needed to take was so clear.

Brianna- you are on your way to eternal exaltation- the path is marked- it is up to you to see and follow the personalized path that will lead you to attaining celestial glory. Right now though, you are beginning that journey- with baptism- YOU ARE HERE!


What a joy I share with you for I know the incredible, indescribable joy I felt as I was baptized with the proper authority and my sins washed away from me. What a joy indeed it is to be a member of the Lord’s true church and to renew my baptismal covenants at sacrament meeting.

We all benefit from the restoration of the Gospel at the hand of the Lord’s prophet, Joseph Smith; I have such a strong testimony of the Lord- of this Church, of Joseph Smith and our prophet today.

It is such an honor to be a member of this church- and such an honor to say these things in the name of Jesus Christ...

I then placed on her, a necklace I had made for her at "things remembered." It is silver and the pendant is a round medallion. On one side was an engraved star with "You are Here" written beneath it, on the opposite side, the date is engraved. (April 22, 2006). I put the necklace onto Bria and it was on her in the waters of baptism. It truly was an incredible experience to be there.

2 comments:

David and Debby said...

Crystal,
Thank you for posting that piece. You are very insightful and your words to Briana were very poignant. She was so blessed to have a friendshipper like you as she joined the Church. That makes such a difference to new members.

I had never thought of Christ's post-baptism experience (wilderness, temptation, etc)as being relative to new converts, and to all of us for that matter. Satan tries to buffet all of us, especially in our weakest moments, but if we remember our original commitment to the Savior, and continually recommit to Him, He will give us all that we need to overcome the temptations. And if we then falter, He will still pay the price for our sin as we repent and return to Him.

Your conversion and committment to the truth are apparent. We are so pleased to have you as one of our eternal family and as such an vital part of Matt's life.
David

Jason and Dana said...

Crystal,
You have a gift of saying things in such an eloquent way. Even if I had those thoughts, I wouldn't be able to put them down on paper the way you do.
Also, what a great addition to the church you are! Such a strong testimony can only strengthen those around you. Bria was lucky to be around you when she was investigating and baptized. It makes total sense she would ask you to speak. And what a neat gift to give her.
Thanks for sharing!
Dana